What can I eat?
During orthodontic treatment, it is important to maintain healthy teeth and gums. It is also important to eat a balanced diet from all four food groups listed in Canada’s Food guide. Below is a list of what you should avoid while in orthodontic treatment and how to prepare those healthy snacks!
- Avoid all sticky foods such as toffee, caramels, chewing gum, licorice, jelly beans, jujubes, gummy bears, fruit roll-ups etc.
- Any meat that is on the bone should be removed ie: chicken wings, spare ribs
- Corn should be cut off the cob.
- Avoid hard candies, suckers, chewing on ice cubes and hard nuts.
- Cut all hard fruit into small pieces and chew on your back teeth. ie: apples, carrots, celery
- Be careful when eating hard rolls and pizza crust. Break into small pieces or avoid all together.
- Pits should be removed first from fruits such as peaches and plums.
- Avoid hard corn chips, nachos, Doritos, pretzels.
Following this list will ensure that your braces will stay attached to your teeth! Loose braces will only delay your treatment time!
If you have any questions, please contact us!